What comes before the cool winter adventure? Planning, of course.
What every winter getaway needs—aside from a sense of adventure and wonder—is some planning. Along with basic supplies such as water, snacks, a headlamp, matches, and first aid kit, be sure you have enough layers to account for the weather (which, of course, you’ll check before you head out). Check out some of this essential winter gear for you and your family.
All gear provided by Mountain Equipment Co-op (mec.ca).
1. MEC Spicy Hoodie is not only super warm—it’s filled with 850 fill-power down (grey and white goose down)—but it’s also super lightweight and portable. Zippered into one of its hand pockets, it takes up next to no space and weighs in at a trifling 250 grams (9 oz).
2. MEC Whirlwind Jacket for kids is cute and cuddly, but it’s also exceptionally nice and warm. Made of Sherpa high-loft polyester fleece, it’s extra soft (the cuddly part) and easy to clean (machine washable and dryable).
3. Zippo Hand Warmer provides portable warmth on those cold, cold days without the worry about getting rid of disposables. It produces radiant heat, without smoke or odour, and generates 10 times as much heat as disposable warmers (chalk up two for the refillable; nil for disposables).
4. GSI Vortex Blender is perfect for the well-prepared winter adventurer/host extraordinaire! It’s hand-powered, lightweight (2.15 kg/ 4.5 lb), and packable, so the perfect host can whip up whatever the ice fishing buddies demand.
5. SPIbelt Small Personal Item Belt carries small essentials that you just can’t leave behind. Lightweight and ultra compact, it has enough room for cellphone, keys, ID, headphones, cash, credit cards, and even your passport.
6. Ambler Canuck Earflap Hat has adorableness in spades! Handcrafted in Nepal, this 100 percent wool hat with soft fleece headband is created by women as part of a charitable program that helps victims of human trafficking toward financial independence.
7. MEC Escapade Backpack for kids has tons of features (including an internal sleeve, hanger, and hose port for portable hydration) with expandability options, and it’s ergonomically built to safely carry loads without injury.
Want to win one of these MEC outdoor gear essentials?
- Follow @alivehealth on Instagram.
- Show us how you’re making the most of the winter. Tag your pic #thisismyhealthy and #alivemagazine.
- You’ll be entered to win a MEC Spicy Hoodie, MEC Whirlwind Jacket, or MEC Escapade Backpack.*
*Visit alive.com/rules for our contest regulations. This #instagiveaway ends on November 30, 2016.